Strategy of continuous intake of vitamin K antagonists in the perioperative period of radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation
The article analyzes first-hand experience of anticoagulation therapy in the perioperative period of catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation (AF). The group under study included 39 patients, who underwent 40 AF catheter ablations. For systemic anticoagulation all patients were taking vitamin K antagonists (with 37 patients taking Warfarin, one patient – Fenilin, and one – Sinkumar). Each patient was undergoing catheter ablation, with anticoagulant being taken continuously.
2. Calkins et al. 2012 HRS/EHRA/ECAS Expert Consensus Statement on Catheter and Surgical Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation: Recommendations for Patient Selection, Procedural Techniques, Patient Management and Follow-up, Definitions, Endpoints, and Research Trial Design // Heart Rhythm. – April 2012. – Vol. 9, No 4. – Р. 632–696.
3. Hakalahti A., Uusimaa P., Ylitalo K., Raatikainen M. J. Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation in patients with therapeutic oral anticoagulation treatment // Europace. – May 2011. – Vol. 13 (5). – P. 640–645.
4. Oussama M. Wazni, MD; Salwa Beheiry, RN; Tamer Fahmy, MD et al. Atrial Fibrillation Ablation in Patients With Therapeutic International Normalized Ratio Comparison of Strategies of Anticoagulation Management in the Periprocedural Period // Circulation. – 2007. – Vol. 116. – P. 2531–2534.
5. Lip G. Y. Does atrial fibrillation confer a hypercoagulable state? // Lancet. – 1995. – Vol. 346. – P. 1313–1314.
6. Kwak J. J., Pak H. N., Jang J. K., et al. Safety and convenience of continuous warfarin strategy during the periprocedural period in patients who underwent catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation // J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. – Jun 2010. – Vol. 21 (6). – P. 620–625.
7. Hussein A. A., Martin D. O., Saliba W., et al. Radiofrequency ablation of atrial fibrillation under therapeutic international normalized ratio: a safe and efficacious periprocedural anticoagulation strategy // Heart Rhythm. – Oct 2009. – Vol. 6 (10). – P. 1425–1429.
8. Schmidt M., Segerson N. M., Marschang H., et al. Atrial fibrillation ablation in patients with therapeutic international normalized ratios // Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. – Aug 2009. – Vol. 32 (8). – P. 995–999.
9. Santangeli P., Di BiaseL., Horton R. et al. Ablation of atrial fibrillation under therapeutic warfarin reduces periprocedural complications:evidence from a meta-analysis // CircArrhythmElectrophysiol. – 2012. – Vol. 5. – P. 302–11.