Guidelines for the Complete Transesophageal Echocardiographic Examination
Transesophageal echocardiography (TEE) today is a crucial cardiovascular visualization method. Close adherence of esophagus to the majority of cardiac structures and major vessels guarantees excellent ultrasound window compared to trans-thoracic echocardiography (TTE) in certain patients with specific diagnosis, as well as during the majority of cardiac surger-ies and catheter interventions. This paper is developed based on contemporary worldwide experience in TEE and is meant to be used as guidelines for performing TEE in the following situations: 1) diagnostic TEE to solve specific diagnostic tasks; 2) intraprocedural TEE during surgical and catheter interventions. Although these Guidelines contain the recommended protocol of image acquisition, the order and quantity of slices may significantly vary depending on indications for TEE. In some indications concerning specific conditions, additional special slices are recommended, which are described in “Spe-cific Structural Imaging” section of this document. The Guidelines are not intended to review all specific indications for TEE or to cover all anomalies visualized by this modality. This section contains the second out of three parts of the guidelines.
- Hahn RT, Abraham T, Adams MS, Bruce CJ, Glas KE, Lang RM, et al. Guidelines for Performing a Comprehensive Transesophageal Echocardiographic Examination: Recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26:921–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2013.07.009
- Shanewise JS, Cheung AT, Aronson S, Stewart WJ, Weiss RL, Mark JB, et al. ASE/SCA guidelines for performing a comprehensive intraoperative multiplane transesophageal echocardiography examination: recommendations of the American Society of Echocardiography Council for Intraoperative Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Task Force for Certification in Perioperative TransesophagealEchocardiography. Anesth Analg. 1999;89:870–84. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000539-199910000-00010
- Kallmeyer IJ, Collard CD, Fox JA, Body SC, Shernan SK. The safety of intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography: a case series of 7200 cardiac surgical patients. Anesth Analg. 2001; 92:1126–30. https://doi.org/10.1097/00000539-200105000-00009
- Peterson GE, Brickner ME, Reimold SC. Transesophageal echocardiography: clinical indications and applications. Circulation. 2003;107:2398–402. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000071540.97144.89
- Beller GA, Bonow RO, Fuster V; American College of Cardiology Foundation; American Heart Association; American College of Physicians Task Force on Clinical Competence and Training. ACCF 2008 recommendations for training in Adult Cardiovascular Medicine Core Cardiology Training (COCATS 3) (revision of the 2002 COCATS training statement). J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;51:335–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2007.11.008
- Flachskampf FA, Badano L, Daniel WG, Feneck RO, Fox KF, Fraser AG, et al. Recommendations for transoesophageal echocardiography: update 2010. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2010;11:557–76. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejechocard/jeq057
- Cahalan MK, Stewart W, Pearlman A, Goldman M, Sears-Rogan P, Abel M, et al. American Society of Echocardiography and Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists task force guidelines for training in perioperative echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2002;15:647–52. https://doi.org/10.1067/mje.2002.123956
- Cardiovascular Section of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society; Canadian Society of Echocardiography; Beique F, Ali M, Hynes M, Mackenzie S, Denault A, Martineau A, et al. Canadian guidelines for training in adult perioperative transesophageal echocardiography. Recommendations of the Cardiovascular Section of the Canadian Anesthesiologists’ Society and the Canadian Society of Echocardiography. Can J Cardiol. 2006; 22:1015–27. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0828-282x(06)70317-8
- Reeves ST, Finley AC, Skubas NJ, Swaminathan M, Whitley WS, Glas KE, et al; Council on Perioperative Echocardiography of the American Society of Echocardiography; Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. Basic perioperative transesophageal echocardiography examination: a consensus statement of the American Society of Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013; 26:443–56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2013.02.015
- American Society of Anesthesiologists and Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Task Force on Transesophageal Echocardiography. Practice guidelines for perioperative transesophageal echocardiography. An updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists Task Force on Transesophageal Echocardiography. Anesthesiology. 2010;112:1084–96.