Successful treatment of a patient aged 1 month with long QT syndrome and multiple episodes of ventricular fibrillation
Long QT syndrome (LQTS) is a rare condition associated with sudden cardiac death. Accumulation of experience of the successful management of patients under the age of 1 year old with LQTS is a relevant issue.
Objective. To analyse the com-plex case of treatment of a patient with LQTS.
Materials and methods. Treatment of a symptomatic patient aged 1 month with LQTS was performed.
Results and discussion. We have a successful experience of epicardial pacing in combination with β-blockers.
Conclusion. Prescription of β-blocker maximal doses and epicardial pacing is the efficient treatment method in patients under 1 year of age with LQTS and unstable hemodynamics.
2. Monteforte N., Napolitano C., Priori S. G. Genetics and arrhythmias: diagnostic and prognostic applications // Rev Esp Cardiol. – 2012. – Vol. 65. – P. 278–86.
3. Douglas P. Zipes. Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside Sixth Edition, 2013.
4. The Jervell and Lange-Nielsen syndrome; atrial pacing combined with Я-blocker therapy, a favorable approach in young high-risk patients with long QT syndrome? / Frьh A., Siem G., Holmstrцm H. et al. // Heart Rhythm. – 2016 Nov. – Vol. 13 (11). – P. 2186–2192. doi: 10.1016/j. hrthm.2016.07.020. Epub 2016 Jul 20.
5. Permanent cardiac pacing in patients with the long QT syndrome / Michael Eldar, Jerry C. Griffin, Joseph A. Abbott et al. // Journal of the American College of Cardiology. –1987 Sep. – Vol. 10, Issue 3. –P. 600–607.
6. Long QT syndrome-associated mutations in intrauterine fetal death / Crotti L., Tester D. J., White W. M. et al. // JAMA. – 2013. – Vol. 309. – P. 1473–1482,