Ischemic Preconditioning for Off-Pump Isolated Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting
National Amosov Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery is a pioneer in implementation of coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) in our country . Since 2000, over 13,000 off-pump CABG operations were performed in our clinic . At the same time, reperfusion syndrome, which develops during the formation of distal anastomoses and in the postoperative period, can induce intraoperative heart failure and life-threatening arrhythmias , despite the fact that off-pump CABG has a number of advantages versus on-pump. Damage to the myocardium, accompanied by an increase in the level of troponin after surgery, leads to deterioration in the patients . That is why the use of pre- and postcodification techniques during off-pump CABG is an important component of successful surgical intervention. The literature describes many methods of ischemic and pharmacological pre- and postconditioning, but their mechanisms have not yet been fully understood . Ischemic preconditioning (PreC) is an increase in myocardial resistance to ischemia-reperfusion that results from the pre-exposure to short-term ischemia and is expressed through intracellular mechanisms. Our study included 52 cases of off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCABG). The subjects were divided into 2 groups. The patients of group 1 underwent ischemic PreC before surgical intervention. In group 2, no preoperative PreC was performed. Hemodynamic parameters were analyzed in all the subjects during the surgical intervention.
- Rudenko AV, Ursulenko VI, Kupchynskiy AV, Spysarenko SP, Malysheva TA. [10 000 Consecutive off Pump Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Operations Performed in a Single Cardiac Surgery Clinic]. Cardiovascular Surgery Herald. 2016;(1(24)):6–8. Russian.
- Rudenko AV, Zhurba OO. [Off-pump Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery: Routine and Emergency Switching to Artificial Circulation]. Cardiovascular Surgery Herald. 2015;(23):210–4. Ukrainian.
- Lau JK, Pennings GJ, Yong A, Kritharides L. Cardiac Remote Ischaemic Preconditioning: Mechanistic and Clinical Considerations. Heart Lung Circ. 2017 Jun;26(6):545–53. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2016.11.006
- Kubota H. Remote ischemic preconditioning: Simple method but unknown mechanisms. J Cardiol. 2016 Jan;67(1):34–5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jjcc.2015.07.006
- Coverdale NS, Hamilton A, Petsikas D, McClure RS, Malik P, Milne B, et al. Remote Ischemic Preconditioning in High-risk Cardiovascular Surgery Patients: A Randomized-controlled Trial. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018 Spring;30(1):26–33. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semtcvs.2017.09.001
- Benstoem C, Stoppe C, Liakopoulos OJ, Ney J, Hasenclever D, Meybohm P, Goetzenich A. Remote ischaemic preconditioning for coronary artery bypass grafting (with or without valve surgery). Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017 May 5;5(5):CD011719. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD011719.pub3
- Moibenko A, Dosenko E, Parkhomenko A, editors. [Endogenous mechanisms of cardioprotection as the basis of pathogenetic therapy of heart disease]. Kyiv;2008. Russian.