Case report. Postcardiac injury syndrome following radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter
Post-cardiac injury syndrome (PCIS) is a common term that covers such inflammatory pericardial syndromes: post-myocardial infarction pericarditis, post-pericardiotomy syndrome, iatrogenic and non-iatrogenic post-traumatic pericarditis. Rates of this pathology are rather high in a cardiosurgical practice (from 10% to 40%). This article aims at describing a clinical case and focusing on the PCIS as a possible ablation complication.
Materials and methods. This article discusses a clinical case of the post-cardiac injury syndrome following the radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter.
Results and discussion. For the treatment of pathology successfully used NSAIDs and colchicine.
Conclusions: despite high PCIS rates in a cardiosurgical practice, this abnormality as it follows catheter ablations is rarely reported. Transthoracic echo and monitoring of inflammatory blood markers, in particular CRP, are central to PCIS diagnosis. NSAIDs and colchicine are used to treat the PCIS.
2. Post-cardiac injury syndrome / M. Jaworska-Wilczyn2ska, M. Kus 2mierczyk, E. Abramczuk, T. Hryniewiecki // Kardiochirurgia i Torakochirurgia Polska. – 2013. – Vol. 10 (1). – P. 20–26.
3. Behavior of inflammatory markers of myocardial injury in cardiac surgery: laboratory correlation with the clinical picture of postpericardiotomy syndrome / Kцhler I., Saraiva P. J., Wender O. B., Zago A. J. // Arq Bras Cardiol. – 2003. – Vol. 81. – P. 279–290.
4. Wessman D. E. The postcardiac injury syndrome: case report and review of the literature / D. E. Wessman, C. M. Stafford // South Med. J. – 2006.
5. Драненко Н. Ю. Постперикардиотомный синдром: механизмы патогенеза и критерии диагноза // Таврический медико-биологический вестник. – 2013. – Том 16, №4 (64). – С. 42–49.
6. Postcardiac injury syndrome following radiofrequency ablation of atrial flutter / Koller M. L., Maier S. K., Bauer W. R., Schanzenbacher P. // Z Kardiol. – 2004. – Vol. 93. – P. 560–5.
7. Postcardiac injury syndrome complicating circumferential pulmonary vein radiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation / Tang R. B., Liu X. H., Dong J. Z. et al. // Chin Med J (Engl). – 2007. – Vol. 120. – P. 1940–2.
8. Incidence and clinical characteristics of postcardiac injury syndrome complicating cardiac perforation caused by radiofrequency catheter ablation for cardiac arrhythmias / Yang Liu, Chao Wang, Ruifu Zhao // International Journal of Cardiology. – 2013. – Vol. 168. – P. 3224–9.
9. Meta-analysis of randomized trials focusing on prevention of the postpericardiotomy syndrome / Imazio M., Brucato A., Markel G. et al. // Am J Cardiol. – 2011. – Vol. 108. – P. 575–579.