Comparison of Echocardiography and Computed Tomography/Magnetic Resonance Imaging for Assessing of Pulmonary Vein Stenosis in Children
Pulmonary vein (PV) stenosis is a rare disease with high recurrence and mortality rates.
Objective. This study was aimed to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy of echocardiography versus cross-sectional modalities.
Material and methods. Our study includes 11 consecutive patients who underwent a comprehensive PV anatomy assessment between April 2018 and June 2019 at Ukrainian Children’s Cardiac Center, Kyiv. Echocardiographic studies of each pulmonary vein followed by computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) were performed in all patients. A total of 27 CT/MRI studies were performed.
Results. There were four patients whose echocardiography findings were completely confirmed by CT/MRI method. In some patients significant stenosis was underestimated by echocardiography. Sensitivity and specificity were 86.4 and 88.9 for echo, as well as 100 and 94.4 for CT/MRI, respectively.
Conclusion. This study recognizes the limitations of echocardiography as an imaging tool for pulmonary veins morphology assessment. Cross-sectional studies overcome these limitations and provide excellent morphological as well as functional (MRI) evaluation of pulmonary veins.
- Bernstein J, Noke AC, Reed JO. Extrapulmonic stenosis of the pulmonary veins. Circulation. 1959;19(6):891–7. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.19.6.891
- Kovach AE, Magcalas PM, Ireland C, McEnany K, Oliveira AM, Kieran MW, et al. Paucicellular Fibrointimal Proliferation Characterizes Pediatric Pulmonary Vein Stenosis: Clinicopathologic Analysis of 213 Samples From 97 Patients. Am J Surg Pathol. 2017 Sep;41(9):1198–204. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0000000000000892
- Caldarone CA, Najm HK, Kadletz M, Smallhorn JF, Freedom RM, Williams WG, et al. Relentless pulmonary vein stenosis after repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage. Ann Thorac Surg. 1998;66(5):1514–20. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-4975(98)00952-7
- Seale AN, Uemura H, Webber SA, Partridge J, Roughton M, Ho SY, et al. Total anomalous pulmonary venous connection: morphology and outcome from an international population-based study. Circulation. 2010;122(25):2718–26. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.110.940825
- Viola N, Alghamdi AA, Perrin DG, Wilson GJ, Coles JG, Caldarone CA. Primary pulmonary vein stenosis: the impact of sutureless repair on survival. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;142(2):344–50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2010.12.004
- Kalfa D, Belli E, Bacha E, Lambert V, di Carlo D, Kostolny M, et al. Outcomes and Prognostic Factors for Post-Surgical Pulmonary Vein Stenosis in the Current Era. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018;156(1):278–86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2018.02.038
- Lo Rito M, Gazzaz T, Wilder TJ, Vanderlaan RD, Van Arsdell GS, Honjo O, et al. Pulmonary vein stenosis: severity and location predict survival after surgical repair. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;151(3):657–66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2015.08.121
- Haycock GB, Schwartz GJ, Wisotsky DH. Geometric method for measuring body surface area: a height-weight formula validated in infants, children, and adults. J Pediatr. 1978;93(1):62–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-3476(78)80601-5
- Kotani Y, Zhu J, Grosse-Wortmann L, Honjo O, Coles JG, Van Arsdell GS, et al. Anatomical risk factors, surgical treatment, and clinical outcomes of left-sided pulmonary vein obstruction in single-ventricle patients. J Thorac Cardio-vasc Surg. 2015;149(5):1332–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.11.089
- Tremblay C, Yoo SJ, Mertens L, Seed M, Jacques F, Slorach C, et al. Sutureless Versus Conventional Pulmonary Vein Repair: A Magnetic Resonance Pilot Study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2018 Apr;105(4):1248–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athorac-sur.2017.11.015
- Vanderlaan RD, Caldarone CA. Sutureless repair and postoperative residual stenosis: “Never leave with a lesion”. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018;156(1):287–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2018.03.080
- Mykychak Y, Kozhokar D, Yusifli I, Yachnik O, Pavlova A, Zakharova V, Yemets I. Relationship between clinical features and histopathologic findings in patients with pulmonary vein stenosis. Ukrainian journal of cardiovascular surgery. 2019 May 22;(2(35)):61–3. https://doi.org/10.30702/ujcvs/19.3505/044061-063
- Mykychak Y, Fedevych O, Maksymenko A, Yemets I. Simultaneous arterial switch and totally anomalous pulmonary venous connection repair in a 5-hour-old child, complicated by pulmonary venous stenosis. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2017;24(5):809–10. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivw452
- Kalfa D, Belli E, Bacha E, Lambert V, di Carlo D, Kostolny M, et al. Primary Pulmonary Vein Stenosis: Outcomes, Risk Factors, and Severity Score in a Multicentric Study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2017;104(1):182–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2017.03.02