Experience in use of small valve prostheses in adults with narrow valve ring of the aortic valve
We selected 28 consecutive cases, in which valve prosthesis sized 18–20 mm were used, from 339 patients, who underwent aortic valve replacement. The prosthesis selection was based on the effective orifice area index (iEOA). 18 patients had no patient-prosthesis mismatch (iEOA ≥ 0,85 sm2/m2), ten – had moderate patient-prosthesis mismatch (iEOA 0,84–0,65 sm2/m2) and no patient had severe patient-prosthesis mismatch (iEOA ≤ 0,65 sm2/m2).
Highest values of maximal valve gradients were measured in younger patients. Most patients (n=19) noted good quality of life, no edemaes, no shortness of breath and tolerated physical exertion well.
Small aortic valve prostheses using in aged patients is acceptable, even if moderate patient-prosthesis mismatch exists.
2. Pibarot P. Prosthetic heart valves: selection of the optimal prosthesis and long-term management / P. Pibarot, J. G. Dumesnil // Circulation. – 2009. – Vol. 119. – P. 1034–48.
3. Rahimtoola S. H. The problem of valve prosthesis-patient mismatch / Rahimtoola // Circulation. – 1978. – Vol. 24. – P. 5820–24.
4. Urso S. Moderate Patient-Prosthesis Mismatch Has No Independent Effect on 30-Day Mortality After Isolated Aortic Valve Replacement / S. Urso, R. Sadaba, T. Monleon-Getino, G. Aldamiz-Echevarriaa // Revista Espanola de Cardiologia. – 2010. – Vol. 63. – P. 409–14.
5. Wauthy P. Aortic Valve Stenosis - Current View on Diagnostics and Treatment [Електронний ресурс] / P. Wauthy, S. G. Malekzadeh-Milani // InTech. – 2011. – Режим доступу до ресурсу: http://www.intechopen.com/books/aortic-valve-stenosiscurrent-view-on-diagnostics-and-treatment/patient-prosthesis-mismatch-after-aortic-valve-replacement
6. Zoghbi W. A. Recommendations for evaluation of prosthetic valves with echocardiography and Doppler ultrasound: a report From the American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Task Force on Prosthetic Valves / W. A. Zoghbi, J. B. Chambers, J. G. Dumesnil // Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography. – 2009. – Vol. 22. – P. 975–1014.