Terms of early and late prosthetic valve endocarditis
Prosthetic valve endocarditis (PVE) is one of the severe complications of the postoperative period from the side of implanted artificial heart valves. Early PVE is associated with mortality rate over 75%.
Objectives: to investigate the terms early and lateprosthetic valve endocarditis.
Materials and methods. The basis of the study was the clinical data of 276 patients withPVE, who underwent examination and treatment at the SE «AmosovNational Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery AMS of Ukraine». The average age was 42.1±1.1 y. (8.0–73.0 yy.).
Results. Depending on the appearance of the first symptoms ofPVE, the group of patients was subdivided into early (less than 2 months after surgery) and late (more than 2 months after surgery)PVE, which included 109 (39.5%) and 167 (60.5%) cases respectively. By the end of the second month, the risk of PVE was 6%, and by the end of the first year after surgery, it was almost halved by 4%.
Conclusions. Distribution of occurrence of PVE in the postoperative period was unequal. The greatest number of cases occur on the fourth week after implantation of an artificial heart valve.
2. Twenty-year single-center experience with the Medtronic open pivot mechanical heart valve / Van Nooten G., Bovй T., Van Belleghem Y. et al. // Ann Thorac Surg. – 2014. – Vol. 97. – P. 1306–1313. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2013.11.035. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
3. Recurrent prosthetic valve endocarditis with aortic-ventricular disruption: a surgical challenge / Ramlawi B., White L. E., Santora R. J. et al. // J Heart Valve Dis. – 2013. – Vol. 22. – P. 126–133. [PubMed]
4. Surgical treatment of prosthetic valve endocarditis / Lytle B. W., Priest B. P., Taylor P. C. et al. // J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. – 1996. – Vol. 111. – P. 198–207. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(96)70417-8. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
5. Outcome after surgery for prosthetic valve endocarditis and the impact of preoperative treatment / Grubitzsch H., Schaefer A., Melzer C. et al. // J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. – 2014. [PubMed]
6. In-hospital and 1-year mortality in patients undergoing early surgery for prosthetic valve endocarditis / Lalani T., Chu V. H., Park L. P. et al. // JAMA Intern Med. –2013. – Vol. 173. – P. 1495–1504. doi: https://doi.org/10.1001/ jamainternmed.2013.8203. [PubMed] [Cross Ref]
7. Comparison between early and late prosthetic valve endocarditis: clinical characteristics and outcomes / Nonaka M., Kusuhara T., An K. et al. // J Heart Valve Dis. – 2013. – Vol. 22. – P. 567–574. [PubMed]
8. The relationship between the initiation of antimicrobial therapy and the incidence of stroke in infective endocarditis: An analysis from the ICE Prospective Cohort Study (ICE-PCS) / Dickerman Stuart A. et al. // American Heart Journal. – Vol. 154, Issue 6. – P. 1086–1094.
9. Misawa Y. Valve-related complications after mechanical heart valve implantation // Surgery Today. – 2015. – Vol. 45 (10). – P. 1205–1209. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-014-1104-0.