The Risk of Perioperative Bleeding in Patients with Dual Antiplatelet Therapy
Background. Patients with dual antiplatelet therapy have high risk of perioperative bleeding. In this article we evaluated the risk of bleeding in patients whose antiplatelet therapy had not been canceled before coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG).
The aim. To investigate and evaluate the risk of intra- and postoperative bleeding in patients who underwent CABG during antiplatelet therapy.
Materials and methods. In the study, 47 case reports of patients with coronary heart disease who underwent CABG were evaluated. The patients were divided into 2 groups. The first group included 26 patients who discontinued antiplatelet therapy less than 5 days before the operation. The second group included 21 patients who discontinued antiplatelet therapy more than 5 days before the operation. Stratification of the risk of bleeding was performed using HAS-BLED Score for Major Bleeding Risk online calculator.
Results and discussion. The major bleeding risk was 5.1 ± 1.4% and 4.4 ± 1.6% in the first and in the second group, respectively. In spite of higher risk of bleeding in the first group, there was no significant difference in intra- and postoperative bleeding complications.
Conclusions. Candidates for surgical intervention who receive dual antiplatelet therapy have high risk of intra- and postoperative bleeding complications. In urgent cases when timely discontinuation of dual antiplatelet therapy is impossible and there is urgent need in the intervention, the latter must be performed. For patients who were prepared for CABG and discontinued dual antiplatelet therapy less than 5 days before the operation, sufficient volume of blood for transfusion must be provided.
- Valgimigli M, Bueno H, Byrne RA, Collet JP, Costa F, Jeppsson A, Jüni P, Kastrati A, Kolh P, Mauri L, Montalescot G, Neumann FJ, Petricevic M, Roffi M, Steg PG, Windecker S, Zamorano JL, Levine GN; ESC Scientific Document Group; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); ESC National Cardiac Societies. 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS: The Task Force for dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J. 2018;39(3):213-260. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx.
- Keeling D, Tait RC, Watson H; British Committee of Standards for Haematology. Peri-operative management of anticoagulation and antiplatelet Therapy. Br J Haematol. 2016;175(4):602-613. https://doi.org/10.1111/bjh.14344.
- Bueno H, Fernandez-Aviles F. Use of risk scores in acute coronary syndromes. Heart. 2012;98(2):162-168. https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2011-300129.
- Costa F, van Klaveren D, James S, Heg D, Räber L, Feres F, Pilgrim T, Hong MK, Kim HS, Colombo A, Steg PG, Zanchin T, Palmerini T, Wallentin L, Bhatt DL, Stone GW, Windecker S, Steyerberg EW, Valgimigli M; PRECISE-DAPT Study Investigators. Derivation and validation of the predicting bleeding complications in patients undergoing stent implantation and subsequent dual antiplatelet therapy (PRECISE-DAPT) score: a pooled analysis of individual-patient datasets from clinical trials. Lancet. 2017;389(10073):1025-1034. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30397-5.
- Yeh RW, Secemsky EA, Kereiakes DJ, Normand SL, Gershlick AH, Cohen DJ, Spertus JA, Steg PG, Cutlip DE, Rinaldi MJ, Camenzind E, Wijns W, Apruzzese PK, Song Y, Massaro JM, Mauri L; DAPT Study Investigators. Development and validation of a prediction rule for benefit and harm of dual antiplatelet therapy beyond 1 year after percutaneous coronary intervention. JAMA. 2016;315(16):1735-1749. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.3775.
- Mauri L, Kereiakes DJ, Yeh RW, Driscoll-Shempp P, Cutlip DE, Steg PG, Normand SL, Braunwald E, Wiviott SD, Cohen DJ, Holmes DR Jr, Krucoff MW, Hermiller J, Dauerman HL, Simon DI, Kandzari DE, Garratt KN, Lee DP, Pow TK, Ver Lee P, Rinaldi MJ, Massaro JM; DAPT Study Investigators. Twelve or 30 months of dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stents. N Engl J Med. 2014;371(23):2155-2166. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1409312.
- Sabatine MS, Cannon CP, Gibson CM, Lopez-Sendon JL, Montalescot G, Theroux P, Claeys MJ, Cools F, Hill KA, Skene AM, McCabe CH, Braunwald E; CLARITY-TIMI 28 Investigators. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin and fibrinolytic therapy for myocardial infarction with ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med. 2005;352(12):1179-1189. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa050522.
- Chen ZM, Jiang LX, Chen YP, Xie JX, Pan HC, Peto R, Collins R, Liu LS. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin in 45,852 patients with acute myocardial infarction: randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet. 2005;366(9497):1607-1621. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67660-X.
- Vuilliomenet T, Gebhard C, Bizzozero C, Glauser S, Blum S, Buser A, Bolliger D, Grapow MTR, Siegemund M. Discontinuation of dual antiplatelet therapy and bleeding in intensive care in patients undergoing urgent coronary artery bypass grafting: a retrospective analysis. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg. 2019;28(5):665-673. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivy330.
- Bertrand ME, Rupprecht HJ, Urban P, Gershlick AH; CLASSICS Investigators. Double-blind study of the safety of clopidogrel with and without a loading dose in combination with aspirin compared with ticlopidine in combination with aspirin after coronary stenting: the clopidogrel aspirin stent international cooperative study (CLASSICS). Circulation. 2000;102(6):624-629. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.102.6.624.
- Campo G, Valgimigli M, Gemmati D, Percoco G, Catozzi L, Frangione A, Federici F, Ferrari F, Tebaldi M, Luccarelli S, Parrinello G, Ferrari R. Poor responsiveness to clopidogrel: drug-specific or class-effect mechanism? Evidence from a clopidogrel-to-ticlopidine crossover study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50(12):1132-1137. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2007.04.092.
- Wiviott SD, Braunwald E, McCabe CH, Montalescot G, Ruzyllo W, Gottlieb S, Neumann FJ, Ardissino D, De Servi S, Murphy SA, Riesmeyer J, Weerakkody G, Gibson CM, Antman EM; TRITON-TIMI 38 Investigators. Prasugrel versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med. 2007;357(20):2001-2015. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0706482.