Ascending Aortic Aneurysm Repair Combined with Ozaki Procedure: Our First Experience
Introduction. Aortic valve disease is often combined with the ascending aortic aneurysm. According to a number of authors, the frequency of the diagnosis varies from 9 to 50%, and the condition requires one-stage surgical correction. Typically, in these cases, mechanical or biologic prostheses are used. The Ozaki procedure allows such operations to be performed without replacing the aortic valve with an artificial prosthesis.
The aim. To analyze the results of aortic valve reconstruction using the Ozaki technique combined with ascending aortic aneurysm repair.
Materials and methods. The article describes the first experience of treatment of 12 patients with aortic valve disease and ascending aortic aneurysm. All the patients underwent Ozaki procedure modified by J. Benedik with surgical correction of aneurysm of the ascending aorta and the aortic arch.
Results and discussion. No deaths were observed in the postoperative period. There was no conversion to aortic valve replacement. Ultrasound imaging after 3 and 6 months revealed no aortic valve dysfunction. Clinically, patients’ well-being was satisfactory and they returned to normal life. Long-term results of these operations interventions require further study.
Conclusions. Our first clinical experience showed promising short- and medium-term results. The indications for aortic valve reconstruction are the same as those for valve replacement with a bioprosthesis. Ozaki procedure can be successfully combined with ascending aortic aneurysm repair. The main advantage is the absence of a frame that does not narrow the opening area of the valve and preserves the aortic root function, which is very important for patients with a narrow aortic root.
- Ozaki S, Kawase I, Yamashita H, Uchida S, Nozawa Y, Takatoh M, et al. Reconstruction of Bicuspid Aortic Valve With Autologous Pericardium--usefulness of tricuspidization. Circ J. 2014;78(5):1144–51. https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.cj-13-1335
- Ozaki S, Kawase I, Yamashita H, Uchida S, Takatoh M, Kiyohara N. Midterm Outcomes after Aortic Valve Neocuspidization with Glutaraldehyde-treated Autologous Pericardium. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 5223(18)30371-4. 155(6):2379–87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2018.01.087
- MouradF,ShehadaSh,LubarskiJ,SerranoM,DemirciogluE, Wendt D, et al. Aortic valve construction using pericardial tissue: short-term single-centre outcomes. Interact CardioVasc Thorac Surg. 2019;28(2):183–90. https://doi.org/10.1093/icvts/ivy230
- Johnston DR, Soltesz EG, Vakil N, Rajeswaran J, Roselli EE, Sabik JF 3rd, et al. Long-Term Durability of Bioprosthetic Aortic Valves: Implications From 12,569 Implants. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Apr;99(4):1239–47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.10.070
- Gamba A, Tasca G, Giannico F, Lobiati E, Skouse D, Galanti A, et al. Early and medium term results of the sleeve valve-sparing procedure for aortic root ectasia. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015;99(4):1228–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2014.10.044
- David T, Feindel C, David C, Manlhiot C. A quarter of a century of experience with aortic valve-sparing operations. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;148(3):872–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.04.048
- Shimizu H, Yozu R. Valve-sparing Aortic Root Replacement. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011;17(4): 330–6. https://doi.org/10.5761/atcs.ra.11.01675
- Girardi L, Gaudino M. Valve-sparing root replacement: Still so much to learn. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017;154(3):798–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2017.05.085
- Gabrielyan A, Domansky T, Beleyovych V, Beregovoy O, Romanova S, Kudlay I. [Ozaki operation. The first experience in Ukraine]. Cardiovascular Surgery Herald. 2017;(1):47–50. Ukrainian.
- Stamou S, Williams M, Gunn T, Hagberg RC, Lobdell KW, Kouchoukos NT. Aortic root surgery in the United States: a report from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons database. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015;149(1):116–22.e4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.05.042
- David TE. Aortic Valve Sparing in Different Aortic Valve and Aortic Root Conditions. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;68(6):654–64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.04.062
- avid T, Feindel CM, Bos J. Repair of the aortic valve in patients with aortic insufficiency and aortic root aneurysm. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1995;109(2):345–51; discussion 351–2. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(95)70396-9
- Rosseykin EV, Bazylev VV, Batrakov PA, Karnakhin VA, Rastorguev AA. Immediate results of aortic valve reconstruction by using autologous pericardium (Ozaki procedure). Patologiya krovoobrashcheniya i kardiokhirurgiya = Circulation Pathology and Cardiac Surgery. 2016;20(3):26–30. Russian. http://dx.doi.org/10.21688/1681-3472-2016-3-26-30
- Borger MA, Preston M, Ivanov J, Fedak PW, Davierwala P, Armstrong S, et al. Should the ascending aorta be replaced more frequently in patients with bicuspid aortic valve disease? J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016;128(5):677–83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2004.07.009