Effect of radiofrequency Catheter ablation on the left ventricular Ejection fraction in Patients with long-Standing Persistent atrial fibrillation
Introduction. Atrial fibrillation (AF) and chronic heart failure (CHF) have common risk factors, pathophysiological mechanisms, and often are concomitant diseases. Two meta-analyses of randomized clinical trials showed the effectiveness of AF ablation in patients with CHF, including those with long-standing persistent AF.
The objective of this study is to analyze the effect of radiofrequency catheter ablation (RFA) on the increase of the left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) in patients with long-standing persistent AF on the basis of our own data.
Materials and methods. This article describes the authors’ own experience of RFA in 57 consecutive patients with long-standing persistent AF who underwent 67 ablations. In 20 (35.08%) patients, LVEF was less than 50%. The patients were divided into 2 groups: group 1 included patients with low LVEF (< 40%), and group 2 included those with mid-range LFEV (40–49%). We analyzed the LVEF increase.
Results and discussion. During the observation period of 9.2 ± 3.4 (6–12) months, sinus rhythm after the last procedure was preserved in 15 (75.0%) patients. The average LVEF increase was 15.8 ± 3.22% in group 1 and 9.3 ± 2.6% in group 2.
Conclusion. Thus, catheter ablation has positive effect on LVEF in patients with long-standing persistent AF.
- Lee Park K, Anter E. Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Failure: A Review of the Intersection of Two Cardiac Epidemics. J Atr Fibrillation. 2013;6(1):751. https://doi.org/10.4022/jafib.751
- Kirchhof P, Benussi S, Kotecha D, Ahlsson A, Atar D, Casadei B, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with EACTS. European Heart Journal. 2016;37(Issue 38):2893–962. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw210
- Marrouche NF, Brachmann J, Andresen D, Siebels J, Boersma L, Jordaens L, et al. Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation with Heart Failure. New England Journal of Medicine. 2018;378:417–27. https://doi.org/10.1056/nejmoa1707855
- Al Halabi S, Qintar M, Hussein A, Alraies MC, Jones DG, Wong T, et al. Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation in heart failure patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. JACC Clin Electrophysiol. 2015;1(3):200–9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacep.2015.02.018
- Kheiri B, Osman M, Abdalla A, Haykal T, Ahmed S, Bachuwa G, et al. Catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation with heart failure: An updated meta-analysis of randomized trials. Int J Cardiol. 2018 Oct 15;269:170–3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.07.024
- Calkins H, Hindricks G, Cappato R, Kim YH, Saad EB, Aguinaga L, et al. HRS/EHRA/ECAS/APHRS/ SOLAECE expert consensus statement on catheter and surgical ablation of atrial fibrillation. Heart Rhythm. 2017 Oct;14(10):e275–e444. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2017.05.012
- Ponikowski P, Voors AA, Anker SD, Bueno H, Cleland JGF, Coats AJS, et al. 2016 ESC Guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure: The Task Force for the diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic heart failure of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Developed with the special contribution of the Heart Failure Association (HFA) of the ESC. European Heart Journal. 2016 Jul 14;37(27):2129–200. https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw128