The experience of surgical repair of aortopulmonary windows in newborns
Aortopulmonary window (APW) is a rare congenital malformation characterized by anomalous communication between the aorta and the pulmonary artery with normal dissociation of the aortic and pulmonary valves.
Aim. In our report we present our experience in diagnosis and treatment of APW. Material and
Methods. Three clinical cases are presented. Children were taken to a clinic with severe hemodynamic disorders caused by congenital heart disease. As a result of urgent operations, ALW was closed with or without correction of concomitant heart defects.
Results and Discussion. With further observation, the children’s condition was stabilized. For successful treatment of APW is very important timely diagnosis, that can be difficult due to the lack of specific symptoms.
Conclusions. Echocardiography is a key method of diagnosis of such defects. Surgical treatment is the method of choice in this pathology.
2. A case of prenatal diagnosis of aortopulmonary window by fetal echocardiography / Kaya Bas)ak [et al.] // 14th World congress in fetal medicine, (Crete, Greece, 21–25 June. 2015). [Электронный ресурс] – Режим доступа : https://www.fetalmedicine.org/abstracts/2015/var/pdf/abstracts/0788.pdf.
3. Aortopulmonary window – A rare presentation in post-partum female / Hari Krishan Aggarwal, Tarana Gupta, Deepak Jain, Seema Rohilla // Biomedical Research. – 2011. – Vol. 22, Issue 3. – P. 345–347.
4. Aortopulmonary Window: Clinical Assessment and Surgical Results / Antonio Moruno Tirado, Jose2 Santos de Soto, Josefina Grueso Montero [et al.] // Rev Esp Cardiol. – 2002. – Vol. 55, № 3. – Р. 266–70.
5. Aortopulmonary Window – impact of associated lesions on surgical results / Cinthia Siqueira Gangana, Ana Flavia de Araujo Malheiros, Elizabete Vilar Alves [et al.] // Arq Bras Cardiol. – 2007. – Vol. 88, № 4. – P. 353–357.
6. Aortopulmonary window with anomalous origin of the right coronary artery from the pulmonary artery: Two cases highlighting the importance of complete pre-operative echocardiographic evaluation of the coronary arteries in all conotruncal anomalies / Steven C. Greenway , Timothy J. Bradley, Christopher A. Caldarone [et al.] // Eur J Echocardiography. – 2006. – № 7. – Р.379–382.
7. Diagnosis, Treatment and Outcomes of Patients with Aortopulmonary Window / Ibrahim Halil Demir, Abdullah Erdem, Tu #rkay Saritas )1 [et al.] // Balkan Med J. – 2013. – Vol. 30. – P. 191–6.
8. Kirklin/Barratt-Boyes Cardiac Surgery Cardiac Surgery: morphology, diagnostic criteria, natural history, techniques, results, and indications / N. T. Kouchoukos, E. H. Blackstone, F. L. Hanley, J. K. Kirklin. – Fourth Edition. – USA, PA : Elsevier Saunders, 2013. – 2256 p.