Laparoscopic Treatment of Morgagni-Larrey Diaphragmatic Hernia with Reposition of the Transverse Colon in Patients with Cardiac Comorbidity. Clinical Observation
Morgagni-Larrey hernia is a rare form of diaphragmatic hernia (2-5% of cases) usually diagnosed in children; in adults, it is often detected in emergency cases or accidentally, during examinations or during surgery. The symptoms of the disease are non-specific, so the diagnosis is made using imaging methods (computed tomography is the gold standard). Currently, there is no single method of treating Morgagni-Larrey hernias. Closure of the defect is performed with or without the use of various mesh prostheses through the abdominal or thoracic route; open or minimally invasive access.
The aim. To conduct a retrospective analysis of the treatment of adult patients with a Morgagni-Larrey diaphragmatic hernia, including those with cardiovascular comorbidity, with a comparison of symptoms, contents of the hernial sac, with the use of laparoscopic techniques and composite mesh prostheses.
Materials and methods. The results of the treatment of three patients with a Morgagni-Larrey hernia in the period from 2020 to 2022 at the Shalimov National Institute of Surgery and Transplantation are shown. In two patients, the content of the hernial sac was a loop of the transverse colon, in one, the content of the hernial sac was a greater omentum. Taking into account the accompanying cardiovascular pathology, an interdisciplinary council consisting of a surgeon, anesthesiologist, and cardiologist recommended laparoscopic surgical intervention. Laparoscopic allogeneoplasty with composite prosthesis implantation was performed in three patients.
Conclusions. The laparoscopic method of treating diaphragmatic hernias is safe and effective. The use of composite prostheses in combination with tension closure of the defect allows to reduce the risk of recurrence of the disease in the distant postoperative period.
- Nasr A, Fecteau A. Foramen of Morgagni Hernia: Presentation and Treatment. Thorac Surg Clin. 2009;19(4):463-468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thorsurg.2009.08.010
- Svetanoff WJ, Rentea RM. Morgagni Hernia. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2023 [updated 2023 Jan 30; cited 2023 Jun 12]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK557501/
- Oguma J, Ozawa S, Kazuno A, Nitta M, Ninomiya Y. Laparoscopic mesh repair of adult diaphragmatic hernia: A report of two cases. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2017;10(2):179-182. https://doi.org/10.1111/ases.12345
- Yoldas T, Ustun M, Karaca C, Firat O, Caliskan C, Akgun E, et al. Morgagni Hernia: Is It Just a Congenital Hernia or a Cause of Emergency Surgery? Am Surg. 2016;82(11):317-319. https://doi.org/10.1177/00031348160820111
- Lim L, Gilyard SM, Sydorak RM, Lau ST, Yoo EY, Shaul DB. Minimally Invasive Repair of Pediatric Morgagni Hernias Using Transfascial Sutures with Extracorporeal Knot Tying. Perm J. 2019;23:18.208. https://doi.org/10.7812/TPP/18.208
- Abraham V, Myla Y, Verghese S, Chandran BS. Morgagni-Larrey Hernia- a Review of 20 Cases. Indian J Surg. 2012;74(5):391-395. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12262-012-0431-x
- Ağalar C, Atila K, Arslan NÇ, Derici ZS, Bora S. Adult morgagni hernia: a single center experience of 5 cases and review of literature. Turk J Surg. 2019;35(4):321-324. https://doi.org/10.5578/turkjsurg.3929
- Minneci PC, Deans KJ, Kim P, Mathisen DJ. Foramen of Morgagni hernia: changes in diagnosis and treatment. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004;77(6):1956-1959. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2003.12.028
- Usenko OYu, Tyvonchuk OS, Dmytrenko OP, Tereshkevych IS, Babii IV. [Modern aspects of treatment of hiatal hernia and its main complications]. Zaporozhye medical journal. 2021;23(2):207-213. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.14739/2310-1210.2021.2.209629
- Tyvonchuk OS, Tereshkevych IS, Vynohradov RI, Zhytnik DYu. [Diagnosis and treatment of gas-bloat syndrome after antireflux surgery]. Zaporozhye medical journal. 2022;24(3):370-374. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.14739/2310-1210.2022.3.239013
- Eren S, Ciris F. Diaphragmatic hernia: diagnostic approaches with review of the literature. Eur J Radiol. 2005;54(3):448-459. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2004.09.008
- Pfannschmidt J, Hoffmann H, Dienemann H. Morgagni Hernia in Adults: Results in 7 Patients. Scand J Surg. 2004;93(1):77-81. https://doi.org/10.1177/145749690409300117
- Yilmaz M, Isik B, Coban S, Sogutlu G, Ara C, Kirimlioglu V, et al. Transabdominal Approach in the Surgical Management of Morgagni Hernia. Surg Today. 2007;37(1):9-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-006-3336-0
- Kilic D, Nadir A, Doner E, Kavukçu S, Akal M, Ozdemir N, et al. Transthoracic approach in surgical management of Morgagni hernia. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001;20(5):1016-1019. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-7940(01)00934-4
- Kurkcuoglu IC, Eroglu A, Karaoglanoglu N, Polat P, Balik AA, Tekinbas C. Diagnosis and Surgical Treatment of Morgagni Hernia: Report of Three Cases. Surg Today. 2003;33(7):525-528. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10595-002-2522-z
- Ambrogi V, Forcella D, Gatti A, Vanni G, Mineo TC. Transthoracic repair of Morgagni’s hernia: A 20-year experience from open to video-assisted approach. Surg Endosc. 2007;21(4):587-591. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-006-9017-7
- Tabo T, Hayashi H, Umeyama S, Yoshida M, Onodera H. Balloon repositioning of intrathoracic upside-down stomach and fixation by percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. J Am Coll Surg. 2003;197(5):868-871. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(03)00721-X