Cardiac Chamber Quantification by Echocardiography in Adults: Recommendations from the Association of Cardiovascular Surgeons of Ukraine and Ukrainian Society of Cardiology
Fast technology development over the past decade as well as changes in practical echocardiography (EchoCG) lead to have given rise to a need in the update of previous guidelines for cardiac chambers quantification, which was the aim of this publication by working group of the Association of Cardiovascular Surgeons of Ukraine and Ukrainian Society of Cardiology. This paper provides up-to-date evidence-based data regarding reference ranges for all cardiac chambers, including available data regarding 3D-echocardiography and myocardial deformation (strain), based on the wide range of studies of healthy individuals found in many databases in healthy individuals. In addition, this document contains an attempt to adjust several minor controversies from previous guidelines.
This document is based on “Recommendations for Cardiac Chamber Quantification by Echocardiography in Adults: An Update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging” (2015) adapted according to the local peculiarities and printed abridged. Full content of “Cardiac Chamber Quantifica-tion by Echocardiography in Adults: Recommendations from the Association of Cardiovascular Surgeons of Ukraine and Ukrainian Society of Cardiology” is available online at the official Website https://amosovinstitute.org.ua of the National Amosov Institute of Cardiovascular Surgery of the NAMS of Ukraine. This paper contains key recommendations, reference ranges and quantification methods in pictures and tables.
- Kovalenko VM, Ivaniv YA, Dolzhenko MM, Deiak SI, Potashev SV, Nosenko NM. [Quantitative echocardio-graphic evaluation of heart chambers. Recommenda-tions project by working group for functional diagnosis of Association of cardiologists of Ukraine and Ukrainian association of echocardiography]. News of Medicine and Pharmacy. 2011;359. Available from: http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article_print/16880. Ukrainian.
- Kovalenko VM, Dolzhenko MM, Potashev SV. [Guidelines for clinical echocardiography]. Kyiv; 2018. Ukrainian.
- Lazoryshynets VV, Kovalenko VM, Rudenko AV, Vitovskyy RM, Sychov OS, Ivaniv YA, Beshliaga VM, Krikunov OA, Potashev SV, Rusnak AO, Hrubyak LM, Deyak SI, Borodai AO. [Guidelines for the Complete Transesophageal Echo-cardiographic Examination]. Ukrainian journal of cardiovascular surgery. 2019;(3(36)):90-107. https://doi.org/10.30702/ujcvs/19.36/17(090-107). Ukrainian.
- Lazoryshynets VV, Kovalenko VM, Rudenko AV, Ivaniv YA, Beshlyaga VM, Potashev SV, Trembovetska OM, Salo SV, Gavrylyshyn AY, Rudenko SA, Rusnak AO, Lozoviy OA, Gogayeva OK, Babochkina AR, Soltani SE, Verich NM, Hrubyak LM, Titova NS. [Definition for a Common Standard for 2D Speckle-Tracking Echocardiography]. Cardiology and cardiac surgery: continuous professional development. 2019;(2):105-29. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.30702/ccs.201905.02.2DST105129
- Lazoryshynets VV, Potashev SV, Fedkiv SV, Rudenko AV, Vitovskiy RM, Rudenko KV, Rudenko SA, Hrubyak LM, Mazur OA, Chizhevskaya OO. Multimodality Imaging in the Diagnosis, Risk Stratification and Management in the Patients with Dilated Cardiomyopathy]. Ukrainian journal of cardiovascular surgery. 2020;(2(39)):80-96. Ukrainian. https://doi.org/10.30702/ujcvs/20.3905/(guidelines)080-096
- Potashev SV, Salo SV, Gavrylyshyn AY, Levchyshyna EV, Hrubyak LM, Rudenko SA, et al. [Dobutamine Stress-Echo-cardiography with B-mode Speckle Tracking in the Patients after Acute Coronary Syndromes – Diagnostic and Prognostic Value]. Vestnik KazNMU. 2020;2:96-104. Russian.
- Fukuda S, Watanabe H, Daimon M, Abe Y, Hirashiki A, Hirata K, et al. Normal values of real-time 3-dimensional echocardiographic parameters in a healthy Japanese population: the JAMP-3D Study. Circ J. 2012;76(5):1177-81. https://doi.org/10.1253/circj.cj-11-1256
- Hahn RT, Abraham T, Adams MS, Bruce CJ, Glas KE, Lang RM, et al. Guidelines for performing a comprehensive transesophageal echocardiographic examination: recommendations from the American Society of Echocardiography and the Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2013;26(9):921-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2013.07.009
- Lang RM, Badano LP, Mor-Avi V, Afilalo J, Armstrong A, Ernande L, et al. Recommendations for Cardiac Chamber Quantification by Echocardiography in Adults: An Update from the American Society of Echocardiography and the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2015;28(1):1-39.e14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2014.10.003
- Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Pellikka PA, et al. Recommendations for chamber quantification: a report from the American Society of Echocardiography’s Guidelines and Standards Committee and the Chamber Quantification Writing Group, developed in conjunction with the European Association of Echocardiography, a branch of the European Society of Cardiology. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2005;18(12):1440-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2005.10.005
- Lang RM, Bierig M, Devereux RB, Flachskampf FA, Foster E, Pellikka PA, et al. Recommendations for chamber quantification. Eur J Echocardiogr. 2006 Mar;7(2):79-108. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euje.2005.12.014
- Mulvagh SL, Rakowski H, Vannan MA, Abdelmoneim SS, Becher H, Bierig SM, et al. American Society of Echocardiography Consensus Statement on the Clinical Applications of Ultrasonic Contrast Agents in Echocardiography. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2008;21:1179-201. quiz 281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2008.09.009
- Voigt JU, Pedrizzetti G, Lysyansky P, Marwick TH, Houle H, Baumann R, et al. Definitions for a Common Standard for 2D Speckle Tracking Echocardiography: Consensus document of the EACVI/ASE/Industry Task Force to Standardize Deformation Imaging. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Jan;16(1):1-11. https://doi.org/10.1093/ehjci/jeu184